Abington Historical Commission
 
 
About Abington

Abington's origins start fairly modestly with its first settler Andrew Ford and the establishment of a parish granting a township to the area.  The area would have included Rockland, Whitman, and parts of Hanover.  The township’s northernmost boundary, the so-called “Patent Line”, separated the colonies of Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth (and is the present day boundary between Weymouth and Abington).   The Town was not incorporated until June 10th, 1712 (the proclamation misspelled the town’s name as "Abingdon" which was amended in a note on the margin of the decree to be officially Abington).

Abington proudly and abundantly participated in the forging of our country through its early day’s and pivotal moments.  Efforts in the American Revolution ranged from service in militias, to the cannon manufacturing of Hobart to the political writings of Joseph Greenleaf, a prolific writer and an zealous patriot whose opus “Noble Resolves” or “Abington Resolves” were passed at a town meeting in Abington and published in the Boston Gazette in February of 1770 denouncing the Townsend Acts.  The War of 1812 again saw Abington’s assistance with her deep forests supplying the oak for the one of our country’s earliest warships, and the oldest warship still active in the world, the U.S.S. Constitution.  When tensions rise in the middle of the 1800’s boiled into war Abington was the first to send a volunteer militia when the call came from Boston, the supplier of innumerable pairs of shoes to the Union Army, and our own Island Grove Park was the meeting place of Abolitionists.

Somehow little Abington continues to accumulate hallmarks such as being the retirement place of the Boston born world-renowned prizefighter John L. Sullivan, the first American athlete to earn $1,000,000 in career prize money through his 47 career bouts (29 wins by knockouts, 14 wins by decision, 3 draws, and only 1 loss which occurred in 1892 to the hands of “Gentleman Jim Corbett) as he reigned as the Heavyweight Champion from 1882 – 1892.  Another obscure and often overlooked historical note is that of mechanically adept Herbert H. Buffman, originally from Hanover moving to Abington in 1890, where his business constructed shoe making machinery as well as various mechanical repairs; however, in 1903 he built his first automobile and by 1906 had perfected his “Buffum Car” which at one time was considered the finest eight-cylinder car in the United States.  His building surprisingly remains to this day, and is the present day location of locally famous Spencer’s Pizza.

Every town has a history, every resident a past, every tombstone an identity.  The Abington Historical Commission strives to bring the shared memories of our town to those that may have forgotten or never knew by protecting, preserving, and promoting our town’s history and lineage.  We encourage any and all who have a passion for the same to contact us for as every day goes by our mission adds new tasks.

 

(781) 982 - 0059

500 Gliniewicz Way

Abington Historical Commission

Abington, Massachusetts 02351

info@AbingtonHistory.org

 

Copyright 2007 Abington Historical Commission, Abington Massachusetts