Abington Historical Commission
 
 
Abington Timeline

The items listed below are only a partial listing of events throughout Abington's existence. Unfortunately it is impossible to add every detail of Abington to a timeline, instead the timeline includes "firsts" and "most notables". Should there be something you deem significant enough to list here, please feel free to contact us.

 

ca. 500 AD

"Satucket Path" become a well-worn trail used by native americans

1640

Governor Bradford delineates the boundaries between Plymouth Colony and Masschusetts Bay Colony are designated and labled as the "Patent Line" or "Old Colony Line". The line is the border of present day Abington and Weymouth and the separation point of Plymouth County and Norfolk County

1650

Myles Standish, Constant Southworth, and Samuel Nash, purchased a small portion of the 196 square-mile “Bridgewater Purchase”.

ca. 1664-68

Most of the Abington's 16-20 land grants given out by the General Coury of Plymouth County

ca. 1668-1672

Andrew Ford of Weymouth becomes the first settler of the are

1675-1676

King Phillip's War, in which it is said Andrew Ford's first house is destroye

1693

The first sawmill of the area appears on the Schumatuscacant River in what is present day East Whitman. The community that developed around this mill was known as "Little Comfort"

1706

Settlers of the area first apply to be designated as a tow

1710

First meetinghouse constructed

1711

First minister hired, Rev. Samuel Browne of Newbury. The hiring was a critical step toward's township as the Court's required a support of a minister before granting an area independance. Rev. Browne preached his first sermon December 8, 1711

1712

On June 10th Abington is officially incorporated as a town through a decree by the Roayl Governor Jospeh Dudley.

1727

Abington looses a portion of its eastern territory to the newly incoprated Hanover.

1732

First schoolhouse contructed in Abington and was located in Abington Center. The one-room schoolhouse served the entire town of Abington until 1843

1746-1748

Southeastern corber of territory lost to Hanson

Abingtonians particpate in the French & Indian Wars

1770

Joseph Greenleaf publishes he “Noble Resolves” or “Abington Resolves” in the Boston Gazette denouncing the Townsend Acts

1776-1781

Abingtonians particpate in the American Revolution. One report indicates that "almost every man in town capable of bearing arms was in the service, for a longer or shorter time"

ca 1777 Small Pox or "Camp Fever" brought back by soliders ravages the town until checked by innoculation

1793

Thomas Hunt, who is credited with bringing shoe manufacturing to Abington, moved to the town from Quincy

1794-1979

The U.S.S. Constitution is constructed utlizing wood from as far north as Maine and as farth south as Georgia. Abington's lumber industry is called upon for wale planks of white oak seven inches thick and are furnished by Obadiah Hersey of South Abington

1807

The church and the town officially separte as a second congregation is formed in South Abington forcing town meetings to be conducted outside of church meetings

The New Bedford Turnpike (appoximately todays Route 18) is opened for service through Abington

1812

A Third Congregational society and subsequnet church forms in Abington, this time in East Abington

1826

David Gloyd establishes the first shoe factory in Abington

1839

Aaron Hobart, grandson of Colonel Aaron Hobart, publishes "An Historical Sketch of Abington" which is a source of much of Abington's recorded history

1845

The Old Colony Railroad opened for service from Boston to Plymouth

First Alms House established

First Annual Town report printed

1846

First all-day outdoor Abolitionist meeting is held on August first in Abington's Island Grove Park

1847

Abington first begins providing street names

1853

Abington Savings Bank opens (and remains a major supporter and industy provider until its merger with Sovereign Bank in 2004)

1854

Abington's first newspaper, The Abington Standard, is published

1856

Abington Mutual Fire Insurance Company is incorporated

1860

First jury list (or veniermen list) is published

1861

South Abington, Company E, 4th Regiment Masschusetts Volunteers are the first to respond to Boston Common at nation's call to arms. Througout the Civil War Abington residents participate in military units fighting for the Union

Veterans and their familiers begin to receive state aid

In a statewide survey, Abington is found to be have the highest valuation greatly exceeding that of any town in the county

1866

Benjamin Hobart, a prominemnt tack manufacture, publishes his "History of Abington" which had previously appeared as a series in the Abington Standard

1867

Abington builds its first "lock-up" or jail

1868

Abington Fire Department established

Hanover Branch railroad opened for service between North Abington, East Abington, West Hanover and Hanover's Four Corners (operating until 1948)

1872

Health Department established

1873

Abington's Town By-laws are dran up and ratified

The Dunbar Street School located at 66 Dunbar Street is built in what now is infamously referred to as the "Mansard Abomination. The construction caused such a rift in the town that it was the final catalyst leading to the town being split. By popular local support portions of the town would seceed from Abington and incorporate themselves as independant municipalities (Rockland and Whitman). The school remained in service until 1938, later becoming a a frozen-food locker and eventually going into disuse. In the late 1960's and early 1970's it is torn down and an apartment complex is erected on the site destroying one of the most pivotal icon's of Abington's history

1874

The East Ward of Abington is cut off and incorporated as the Town of Rockland

1875

The South Ward of Abington is cut off and incoporated as the Town of South Abington (which through popular referendum will change its name in 1886 to Whitman)

The Arnold Shoe Factory building is begun by Moses N. Arnold. The building still exists today at 200 Wales St. and is occupied by a few private companies.

1878

Abington Public Library established

1881

Abington Park Department established

1882

Telephone service is first available

1883

Abington Water Department established

1885

The town purchases a portion a lot inside Mount Vernon cemetary for graves for the "Forefathers Stones"

1888

The Crossett Shoe Factory is built by Lewis A. Crossett. A large portion of the building still exists and is today the home of New England Art Publishers

1889

Abstracts of Abington Town Meetings are first published in Annual Reports

1890

Abington's first official High School (remaning until 1902) opens on Washington Street in a building constructed in 1853 that today is the American Legion Building

1892

Electric lighting is first available in Abington

1893

The Abington-Rockland Railway Company streetcar service is established in Abington, operating until 1935

"The North Abington Riot" takes place as a confrontation between the "New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad Corporation" (usually shortened to “the New Haven”) and the town over a dispute of the right-of-way of streetcars crossing the railroad tracks in North Abington. The incident took place outside the North Abington Depot (present day location of the Abington Depot restaurant). A stone was erected August 15, 1993 as a memorial.

1899

Abington Police Department established

1903

Abington opens its new High School which serves the town from 1903-1934. The building was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1934 and was torn down in the spring of 1936. The land today is occupied by the Frolio School, and although similar in look the buildings are not one in the same.

1912

Abington celebrates her bicentenial by dedicating the Memorial Arch and Bridge at Island Grove Park. The day included participation of all three "Old Abington" towns in a week-long celebration where factories, schools, and other normal functions paused for the festivities

1917-199

Abington participates in The Great War, World War I sending several of her son's into the military including five brothers of the Bailey family.

1930

The Dyer Memorial Library opens to the public

1939

The Historical Society of Old Abington (comprising of Abington, Rockland, and Whitman) is established.

1941-1945

Abington once again responds to the nations need with many of it's citizen participating and countless of its families impacted

1954

Abington Zoning Board of Appeals established

1969

The New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad Corporation, cause of the Abington Riot, is sold to Penn Central

1975

Abington Historical Commission established by popular vote by the town

1980

Chapter 11 in the By-Laws of the Town of Abington are accepted setting down the description, objectives, mandates, and procedures to be used by the Historical Commission.

 

(781) 982 - 0059

500 Gliniewicz Way

Abington Historical Commission

Abington, Massachusetts 02351

info@AbingtonHistory.org

 

Copyright 2007 Abington Historical Commission, Abington Massachusetts